Monday, July 8, 2013

Turkey Bolognese

I love pasta dishes. They are super easy to make and you can let your imagination run wild. I was watching a cooking show and was inspired by a dish that I saw being made. I knew that I wanted to make it but it needed some changes for mine and my families tastes. Here is what I came up with. I hope you like it!!! FYI this is a lot of sauce. I take half and put it in the freezer for another meal. You can half the sauce if you do not want to make enough for another night however if you can I would suggest it. Makes another night super easy!






Turkey Bolognese

4 Tbs. Olive oil, divided
2 lbs. ground turkey breast
6-8 cloves of garlic, minced 
2 Tbs. dried oregano 
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 cups red wine (I used a yummy Merlot)
2 (28 oz.) cans of crushed tomatoes (I used organic fire roasted)
1 (6 oz.) can of tomato paste (I used organic)
1 (8 oz.) can of tomato sauce (I used organic)
1 (1 lb.) box of dried pasta (I used small shells so the sauce could get into the pasta)
1 tsp. dried nutmeg
1/2-1 cup of fresh basil chopped
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup parmesan cheese (more for serving)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat half of the olive oil in a skillet pan at med-high heat and add the turkey crumbling the meat until browned and no longer pink.
Drain any water from the turkey breast.
Stir in the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes cooking for at least a minute.
Pour in the wine scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce along with some salt and pepper, stirring until combined.
Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering bring a large pot of water to a boil along with the remaining olive oil and some salt.
Add pasta and cook according to the box directions.
While the pasta cooks add the nutmeg, basil, and heavy cream to the tomato sauce and simmer for another 15 minutes until thickened.
Take half of your sauce and put it in a freezer safe container and store in your freezer for another meal (just add to warm pasta on that day).
Drain pasta, add it to the remaining sauce along with the pamesan cheese, toss well.
Serve in a large pasta bowl for a nice presentation for your table along with parmesan cheese on the side for each individual bowl.
Add basil leaves for a garnish to make it look beautiful for your table. 



Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment