Saturday, April 13, 2013

Poor Man's Steak

Like most families, mine is on a tight budget. So when I saw that lean ground beef was on sale I started thinking of the different ways to use it. I went over the usual things such as chili, spaghetti, and burgers but these are things that we do often and typically use ground turkey breast in place of beef. My parents both were great cooks so I started thinking of the things that they would have made. My dad was 100% Portuguese and grew up in Massachusetts so he would have made some sort of soup or pasta dish. My mom was born and raised in Atlanta Georgia as was I and she was big into soul food and comfort food. I remember growing up, she would make a dish with hamburger patties filled with green pepper and onions served with a brown gravy on top. To me this was the ultimate comfort food. It had so much flavor. I knew I wanted to make this however my daughter is not a fan of green pepper so I had to hide them. This was the result! They were AMAZING and she could not tell that the peppers were there, she just kept asking what was in them to make It taste so yummy!!! The picture looks horrible and for that I am sorry. I will be taking a new one next time I make them! I hope you love this as much as we do!  







Poor Man's Steak

2 lb. ground beef
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 eggs
1 sleeve of saltine crackers, crushed
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tbs. garlic powder
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 pkt. brown gravy mix
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can condensed french onion soup
1/2 cup water
2 tbs. corn starch

In a food processor or blender add bell pepper, onion,  eggs, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper and blend until most of the chunks are gone.
In a bowl combine the beef, crackers and contents of the blender and work with your hands until combined together well.
Make into patties and set aside (they will look a little green).
Heat up a skillet on medium-high, if you are using a non stick skillet you may want to spray it with a non stick spray.
Brown patties on both sides for about 3-4 minutes on each side then take out of the pan and set aside.
In the pan combine the brown gravy mix, corn starch, cream of chicken soup, french onion soup and water.
Whisk well making sure to remove the lumps and get the cooked pieces from the patties off the bottom (this gives your gravy extra flavor).
Once gravy is combined, place your patties into the pan making sure to spoon gravy over the top. 
Cover and simmer on low for about 10 minutes then serve with your favorite side (we love egg noodles).

Enjoy!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment