Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Crock Pot Spinach Lasagna

About a year ago me along with my family had to stay somewhere for a short time without an oven. I did not realize how much I would miss one. So when my family started craving lasagna I knew I needed to get creative. I had seen crock pot lasagna's before but I was feeling inventive. I wanted it to be different and a little bit healthier (mind you with all of the cheese it is not healthy by any means but I tried to cut calories where I could). What I came up with has become a favorite. The picture came out terrible last time I made it but I promise that when I make it next I will get better pictures! I hope love it as much as we do!





1 lb. ground turkey breast (you can use beef we just wanted to go healthy)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (normally I make my own but for this I used prego)
1 15 oz. tub of light ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 tsp. parsley
2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. black pepper
1 pkg. (8oz.) no boil lasagna noodled (I used barilla)
8 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 of a 6 oz. bag of baby spinach
 1 jar (15 oz.) of your favorite alfredo sauce

In a skillet brown the ground turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat for about 8 minutes until meat is no longer pink, drain.
Stir in spaghetti sauce and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
In a bowl combine ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, basil and pepper.
Spread 1 cup of meat mixture into the bottom of a 5-6 qt. slow cooker. 
Place 4 noodles over the sauce breaking them if needed to fit.
Layer with half of the ricotta mixture, 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of the meat mixture.
Top with 4 noodles, spinach, alfredo sauce, and 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
Place 4 more noodles, remaining ricotta mixture, 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, and 1 cup of meat mixture.
Add the remaining noodles if any, top with the remaining meat mixture, and mozzarella cheese.
Cook covered on low for 4-5 hours or until noodles are tender. 


Enjoy!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment