Saturday, August 18, 2012

Beef Bourguignon


Beef Bourguignon

I woke up this morning and outside it was storming. Even though it is August and I live in Florida, stormy days makes me want to stay in bed and have a cuddle under the covers/comfort food day. I looked through my normal file on my computer with all of my recipes, went through my cook books and I kept going back to the pages listed with beef soups and beef stews. I am not looking to have the same thing that we always have had I want something different.
I came across Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon and I have always wanted to try it but I don't have the time or the funds to pull that off so off I went in search of a less expensive version when I came across a slow cooked version using basic inexpensive ingredients that was super easy and even better this way the crock pot can do most of the work for me. However to me it looked a little bland and lacking in the heartiness that I so desire on a day like today so I tweaked it as I went and of course I did what I always recommend...taste taste taste!!
Starts off with 2 pounds of cut up beef. Recipe called for round steak however I had a london broil that I cut up into large bite sized pieces, seasoned with sea salt and browned in olive oil on the stove. While that was browning I cut up some veggies. The recipe called for 2 cups frozen baby carrots, 1 cup frozen onion and 6 oz canned whole mushrooms. However I prefer fresh for recipes such as this. I cut up 3 large carrot sticks into very large bites, 1 small sweet onion into bite sized pieces and used 8 ox of whole baby bella mushrooms cut in half. As well as 6 cloves of garlic (recipe only called for 2). I placed the veggies in the crock pot along with 2 cans condensed golden mushroom soup, 2 cups of burgundy wine along with 2 tbs of corn starch(you can avoid the corn starch of you dredge the meat in flour before browning). The one thing that the recipe did not have was potatoes, they are not needed but I wanted them so I quartered 4 medium red potatoes. As for seasoning it only called for 1 tsp of thyme, ok I definitely needs more than that! I added 2 tsp of thyme, 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper for a little heat, 1 Tbs of worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp of oregano and sea salt to taste.
Simmer on low for 6-8 hours and don't forget to taste taste taste!! The smell is amazing and the taste keeps getting better and better as it cooks! Enjoy Ya'll!!





Beef Bourguignon

2 pounds of cut up beef (london broil is what I used)
3 large carrot sticks into very large bites
1 small sweet onion cut into bite sized pieces
8 ox of whole baby bella mushrooms cut in half
4 medium red potatoes quartered
6 cloves of garlic minced
2 cans condensed golden mushroom soup
2 cups of burgundy wine
2 tbs of corn starch*
2 tsp of thyme
1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper
1 Tbs of worcestershire sauce
2 tsp of oregano
sea salt to taste
1 tbs olive oil
* avoid corn starch if you dredge the meat through flour before brown

Take oil in a saute pan at med/high. Once hot add beef and brown on all sides. While meat is browning place all of the other ingredients in a large crock pot and mix well. Once beef in brown add to the crock pot. Stir until mixed. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Taste Taste Taste!!

Thanks Ya'll!!
XOXO




0 comments:

Post a Comment