Saturday, December 17, 2016

Turkey Chili 2.0 (Even healthier version)

I know it has been a while since I have posted anything new and for that I am sorry. I have had some medical issues and it really made me stop and think of what I have been putting in my body. With the thanks of some wonderful women I have in my corner, I am changing my life. That begins with food. Things that I thought were healthy, were not necessarily healthy. Just because it says healthy or lower fat, does not mean it is good for your body. Now, I always read my labels and do research. I also ask myself, is this what my body needs. Not wants but needs. That got me thinking. I have some awesome recipes on here, however most of them are not healthy. So I will be experimenting (which is where I get my best recipes) and try and make them healthier!

It is getting cold outside (well for most of the country, I live in Florida so it is still warm), perfect weather for soups, stews and chili. I have a great turkey chili posted already, but I wanted to have it be more chunky with veggies and protein and not so many beans. So here it is!!!! My spin on a healthier version of my turkey chili! I hope you love it as much as my family did! Again keep in mind that I make a large batch and freeze some. 





  Turkey Chili 2.0


4 lbs ground turkey breast, browned
3 med-lg  red onions, diced
4 medium green bell peppers, diced (you can add more peppers if you like, I typically add an ancho chili, a cubanelle and a jalapeno when I am feeling spicy!!)
8 large garlic cloves, diced
1 can green chilies drained (optional for a spicer flava)
1.5 cans tomato paste (9 oz.total)
2 14.5 oz cans of no salt added diced tomatoes
4 8 oz no salt added tomato sauce
4 cups low sodium fat free chicken stock or broth (more if you like it a little soupy)
2 cans small red beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
3 tbs chili powder (I heap it a little)
2-3 tbs cumin (depends on your taste buds)
3 tbs granulated garlic (I love garlic so you may not want to add this if you have heartburn issues)
1.5 heaping tbs oregano
2 tbs pink himalayan salt
1 tbs cracked black pepper

1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional) 

At this point you can throw it all in the pot and let it simmer all day, but I like sweating the onions and peppers with a little olive oil before I add them to the pot. It gives them an extra favor profile! Then I add in the meat and seasonings with the peppers and onions to get the flavors really sticking to the meat. Once everything is coated with the seasonings and its smelling really good, add the remaining ingredients. You can wait to add the beans if you want but I dont. Simmer for at least 4 hours or place in crock pot on low for 8 hours. The longer it cooks the more flavor it has (keep in mind the longer it cooks the beans with break down so if you plan on cooking it all day, wait to add the beans until an hour before its done. I like to top mine with a couple of slices of avocado, a spoonful of greek yogurt and just a pinch of cheese. 

Enjoy!!

   

0 comments:

Post a Comment